Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Technology Play Testing 4-Content Objects


www.commonsensemedia.com

Content Objects

Content objects are can add so much value to the classroom.  In choosing this I wanted to focus on growing my resources and tools in my classroom to share a variety of ways students can learn.  This year my school is collaborating to create student clubs.  Students and parents were given QR codes that linked to a google form.  Students were asked for input on what type of clubs our school should offer.  One of the clubs that will be offered next semester is a Coding Club.  Not knowing much about coding, only through the eyes of my 10 year old son, I am intrigued to know more.  I went to the Common Sense Media website (https://www.commonsensemedia.org) where educators can look up EdTech Reviews and Resources.  This where my search began for different content objects I could potentially use for this club.  On the website you can find top picks from educators and parents and can narrow your search according to grade, subject, and skill.
I chose to explore under Best Picks for Early Childhood STEM learning.  Before diving into different tools the website offered a teaching strategies module to hep teachers bring coding into the classroom.  There were a few I explored before l decided on the content tool I will use with my class.

ScratchJr
ScratchJr app is an intro to programming.
LIKES:  Students who are new to programming can use drag and drop on the ipad screen.  The app uses basic commands that makes creating and problem solving easy.  The app is free!
DISLIKES:  Being an introductory app, students will need teacher guidance and support to begin.

Kodable Class
Kodable class is an app for beginning coders.  I have used this app in my own classroom as a way to teach cardinal directions.  My class loved it!
LIKES:  The program gives students step by step instructions that is helpful for beginners.  It is great for sequencing and students can work at their own pace with the ability to save their work and come back to it.
DISLIKES:  The site can be overwhelming.  There is a lot students can do and students may miss the opportunity to begin due to exploring.  There is a free version which I used with my class, but the paid version has many more options for the app.

These tools could have easily been used and would support the learning that will happen in my classroom with coding.

Code.org
Code.org is the tool I chose to support the learning in the coding club at my school.  The content goals for using Code.org would be using creativity and critical thinking to apply to math and science content. 
This free website has lesson that allow all skill levels to enjoy programming.  The modules begin very basic and students increase their in-depth learning with each module.  The lessons can be chosen based off of student interest and the activities have familiar characters from popular games, like Minecraft.  The website also offers videos from famous people, like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg.  In the videos, the connection between the virtual and real world is shown.  For the coding club, teachers are allowed access to monitor and watch what students are working on.  Many teacher reviews claim that it is an "awesome gateway to coding for kids"!  The website overall allows student choice, student pacing, and collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment